Thursday, May 04, 2006

EGO OF INTELECTUAL MAN

Nearly a month ago, a doctor from Sri Lanka who I had never known before, had sent me a project proposal prepared to be submitted for approval for his masters degree. A professor had instructed him to contact me as I also embarked on a project on communty pharmaceutical use for my doctroal thesis. Without knowing that I was abroad, he e-mailed his objectives and methodology for my comments.
As I was busy with my accademic schedule, it took me a while to review the protocol. However, within two weeks period, I was able to submit my comments. I took my own pecious time and comprehensively reviewed it with posible alterations to look it more attractive and rational.However, the board has not accepted on the ground that my thesis was also on the same topic and therefore repetition of it or similar aspects had no meaning.
However, my point does not lie there. A few days later, I did recieve a letter from the doctor of concern thanking me for the work. He was astonoshed by the fact that I had gone out of my way to review his project comprehensively. He was surprised that a man who had never known him was of such use and helpful.
It was manifestation of my sikhiness. It is my firm belief that our life is impermanant. It may stop at any time at any place. Keeping the knowledge to your self, not being helpful to others will not helf ourselves as life may cease to function at any moment. As guru's point out our life is to help each other. May be a day, the person who you help may be superior to you. But, you have done your duty by helping a fellow being
Another reason for my helping students is the way we suffered at the hands of supervisors and experts. Having taken appointments, I used to wait them and even after meeting them, they were just pretending to be super humans rather than pointing out the sectons which needed focussed attention or modification. So that is the point where my philosophy took a u turn to tell myself that when I will be in a position to help students , I will go out of my way to impart the little knowledge that I have to others.
Last few months, I helped a lot of advanced students doing research. They were very happy at the end praising me . I was very pleased because I have done my duty. I percieve it to be a " KAR SEWA". In return it helps me also to improve my teaching skills.
Many individuals among us believe that they are immortalised. The knowledegable thinks that the knowledge that they have is hard earned. As such, it is not to be imparted to. If imparted to, it is to a limited degree at a high cost with limitations.
Isn't this the manifestation of ego of intellectual man
The blind self-willed manmukh acts blindly, and earns only poison in this world. Enticed by Maya, he suffers in constant pain, without the most Beloved Guru. 2 He alone is a selfless servant, who serves the True Guru, and walks in harmony with the True Guru's Will. The True Shabad, the Word of God, is the True Praise of God; enshrine the True Lord within your mind. The Gurmukh speaks the True Word of Gurbani, and egotism departs from within. He Himself is the Giver, and True are His actions. He proclaims the True Word of the Shabad. 3 The Gurmukh works, and the Gurmukh earns; the Gurmukh inspires others to chant the Naam. He is forever unattached, imbued with the Love of the True Lord, intuitively in harmony with the Guru. The self-willed manmukh always tells lies; he plants the seeds of poison, and eats only poison. He is bound and gagged by the Messenger of Death, and burnt in the fire of desire; who can save him, except the Guru? 4
Page 753 Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

19 May, 2006 17:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

19 May, 2006 18:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web Ranjan's sikh and cricket blog