Wednesday, May 31, 2006

ARCHIVES OF IMPORTANCE _ GD BATHA SAHIB

From: "Amrit Pal Singh" ap_entrepreneur@yahoo.com.sg
Subject: Gurdwara Bhai Bachhitar Singh ji Ropar
This is just a few meters away from Gurdwara Bhatha Sahib and Bhai Bachhitar Singh was one of the commanders of Guru Gobind Singh ji's army. Phone : 91-1881-226574
Mukh Sevadar : Bhai Jainal Singh : 91-9218183846
History---------BACHITTAR SINGH, BHAI (d. 1705), warrior and martyr, was the second son of Bhai Mani Ram, a Parmar Rajput and devotee of the Gurus. One of the five brothers presented by their father for service to Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708), he joined the order of the Khalsa on the historic Baisakhi day, 30 March 1699, and shot into prominence during the first battle of Anandpur against the hill chieftains, when, on 1 September 1700, he was selected by Guru Gobind Singh to face a drunken elephant brought forth by them to batter down the gate of the Lohgarh Fort. As the elephant reached near the gate, Bachittar Singh, sallied forth on horseback and made a powerful thrust with his spear piercing the plate and injuring the animal in the forehead. The wounded elephant ran back creating havoc in the besieger's ranks. Bachittar Singh also took part in actions at Nirmohgarh and Basali and in the last battle of Anandpur. On the fateful night of 5-6 December 1705, when Anandpur was evacuated, he was one of those who safely crossed the torrential Sarsa rivulet. At the head of a flanking guard watching pursuers from the direction of Ropar, he had an encounter with a body of irregulars near Malikpur Ranghran in which he was seriously wounded. He was carried to Kotla Nihang Khan where he died two days later (8 December 1705). You can see in the photo section the entrance of the gurdwara ,his shield , sword , well from where water was taken for his saskar , place of his saskar and remains of the old fort of the Pathans.
From contribution of Amrtit Pal Singh ji to the GD digest
BIRTH PLACE OF KHALSA
Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib, Anandpur Sahib, Dist. Ropar .
This is the birthplace of the Khalsa. It was here on March 30th, 1699 that a very large gathering of Sikhs had arrived at Anandpur Sahib as per Guru Gobind Singhs instructions. After prayers Guru Gobind Singh ji stood up with his sword and asked the gathering of thousands, "Is there anyone here ready to lay down his life at my call? This sword of mine is crying for the blood of a dear Sikh of mine." The congregation was shocked and afraid, the third time Guru Gobind Singh ji repeated his call, Daya Ram stood up and offered his head. Guru Gobind Singh ji took him into a tent. The sound of a sword cutting a body was heard and blood trickled out of the tent. Guru Gobind Singh ji emerged from the tent and asked for another Sikh. Dharam Das stood up and volunteered. Again the same episode was repeated. Three more Sikhs offered their heads to the Guru in the same way, Mukham Chand, Himmat Rai and Sahib Chand. After some time Guru Gobind Singh brought the five Sikhs before the congregation dressed in new clothes and revealed to the congregation that he had really slaughtered five goats inside the tent. Guru Gobind Singh ji then baptized them with amrit stirred with his Khanda, The Guru ji called them his Five Beloved Ones and gave them the last name `Singh' which means Lion. Guru Gobind Singh ji then humbly bowed before the Five Beloved Ones and asked them to initiate Him into the Khalsa Brotherhood. 12 of the original weapons of Guru Gobind Singh ji as well as the khanda used by the Guru ji to stir the amrit during the Khalsa baptism ceremony are kept here
Amrit pal ji on Amritsar
Amritsar
A Sikh pilgrim's progress is usually measured by the journeys he or she takes to visit gurudwaras of historical importance. In Amritsar District, the bus is the appropriate mode of transport for such moral and duty-bound excursions. The day begins by invoking the name of the almighty, the Sri Harmandir Sahib, the most hallowed shrine of the Sikhs. Here Sikhs from all over the world spend a few blissful moments and in prayer. Satnam Singh, a driver of the Punjab Roadways, has a pleasant job of taking Harmandir Sahib pilgrims on a daylong journey to historical gurudwaras. The journey costs a mere Rs.2. Lakhwinder Singh, the General Manager of Punjab Roadways in Amritsar, says the gurudwara excursion is not a profit-driven venture. "We have laid down no economic parameters and have no desire to make this a profitable venture. It's a service of love for devotees who want to visit the historical gurudwaras with in Amritsar District," Singh claims. With pilgrims chanting `Wahe Guru', the journey starts towards its first destination, the Gurudwara Kotha Sahib in village Valla. A 15-minute journey and the gurudwara built in memory of the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur looms for all to see. History tells us that while on his way to Amritsar, Guru Tegh Bahadur reached the village of Valla where people welcomed him wholeheartedly. Gratified by their hospitality the Guru exclaimed "Valla Guru ka Galla" (Valla is the bowl of Guru). Pilgrims halt here for a few minutes to pay their respects to the Guru and then move towards the Gurudwara Baba Bakala. Munching a spicy mixture of dried and fried roasted peas, the pilgrims enjoy the pleasant drive to Baba Bakala's shrine. The shrine is associated with an important event in Sikh history. It may be recalled that before his death, Guru Harkishan whispered feebly `Baba Bakala', thereby meaning that his successor was to be found at Bakala village. On that day, the only Baba there was Baba Tegh Bahadur. However, a trader later discovered the genuine Guru. A beautiful gurudwara stands at the spot where the Guru used to meditate in an underground cell. The next destination is Khadur Sahib, the sacred village where Guru Angad promoted the message of God. A 20 mile-long journey ends up at a gurudwara where weaving loom of a cloth weaver use to stand. History records that Guru Amar Das stumbled into a weaver's pit, while carrying a pitcher of water on his head for his guru Sri Angad Dev. In spite of his fall, he succeeded in saving the pitcher filled with water. The noise of the fall awakened the weaver who suspected a thief had come. When weaver's wife heard a voice uttering `Japji' she remarked that there was no thief but, poor and homeless Amar. When the incident came to the notice of Guru Angad, he was pleased to see that Amar Das was not homeless and lowly and appointed him as his successor. "Our purpose in visiting Amritsar was to visit the Golden Temple, Jallianwalan Bagh and the retreat ceremony at the Wagah joint check-post. But when we heard about the bus service by Punjab Roadways to the historical gurudwaras, we quickly amended our plans, and made a programme to pay obeisance at all gurudwaras," says Gajraj Singh, one of the pilgrims. Traveling a few miles southeast of Amritsar, the bus reaches Goindwal, a small town where two historical gurudwaras, Chaubara Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Arjun Dev and Baoli Sahib, the first centre of Sikhism, have been constructed. The third Guru, Sri Amar Das showed an alternative place of pilgrimage, to Haridwar and Benaras, where God alone was to be worshipped. The Guruji purchased land and constructed a `Baoli' or a well with steps descending to the water. The baoli had eighty-four steps and the dip here is considered most holy. The guru decreed that whoever faithfully and ardently repeated `Japji' on every step; he would be released from the travails of wandering through eighty four lakh births and rebirths. A lunch break follows at the famous community kitchen of Guru Amar Das, where each visitor is offered food free of cost. It is believed that Emperor Akbar also partook of a meal in the langar, before meeting the Guru.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web Ranjan's sikh and cricket blog