Wednesday, January 31, 2007

HAKA- MANIFESTATION OF PSYCHOLOGICAL DOMINANCE OVER OPPONENTS

In today’s professional sports arena, victory means the ultimate objective of any team in a contest. The greatness is determined by the consistency of better results produced over a significant period of time. In this background, given the equality of skill and technique levels, mental component has come to the fore as the determining factor of the sporting success. It has acquired such an important level, Aussie cricket legend Steven Waugh believes that the skill level of cricket matters only 10% in the success while more importantly mental status comprises the rest 90%.

Many teams adopt multitude of tactics to boost their mental confidence while extreme measures such as sledging are used to disrupt the equilibrium of opponents. Any person who is a fan of All conquering All Blacks rugby team may be aware the use of a different tactic by ABs to intimidate their opponents even before the game is kicked off. The method used by all blacks to ensure their psychological dominance over opponents is the tribal war cry called HAKA

Haka is performed by hand, feet, legs , bodily voice and concluded by protruding tongue and mimicking the slashing of the throat. This blending of these parts convey their completeness, challenge, welcome, exultation, defiance or contempt of the word . Haka has been defined as a disciplined and emotional expression of the passion, vigour and identity of the race. It has been identified as a message of soul expressed by word and posture.

There are versions of haka performed in NZ. Familiar to rugby fans KAMATE version is believed to be the interpretation of the 19th century warrior chief TE RAUPARAHA who was famous for his ruthless slaughter of Maoris in the South island. Kamate of ngeri style is described as a short free form where dancers interpret as they feel. The other version, PERUPERU is a style for true war dance performed with weapons and high jump with legs folded under at the end. If you happen to be a tourist in the North island, definitely you may be able to witness the performance of this version by Maoris in their native costumes with painted or tattooed faces. It is a spectacular view that raises ones hair on seeing the performance.
Rangi pakia
Kamate Kamate
Ka Ora Ka OraKamate Kamate
Ka Ora Ka Ora
Tenei Te Tangata
Puhuru Huru
Nana E Tiki Mai
Whaka Whiti Te Ra
A Hupane A Hupane
A Hupane Kupane
Whiti Te Ra!

It is death It is death
It is life It is Life
It is death It is death
It is life It is life
This is the hairy man Who caused the sun to shine again for me
Up the ladder Up the Ladder
Up to the top
The sun Shines!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web Ranjan's sikh and cricket blog